Tuesday, December 16, 2008

interview

I did an interview tonight with Rege Behe from the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review as part of an article he's doing about local songwriters. Rege seems to be focusing on songwriting itself and tracing how songs are written from start to finish, which is a cool approach and allows for some substantive discussion of the creative process. Some of the people he's interviewing are real luminaries on the local music scene - I won't name names before the article is published - and some are songwriters who maybe aren't as well known but are distinguished by their talent, so it's a good mix and a real honor to be asked to participate. (I fall into a third category, "Hacks who were interviewed for no apparent reason.") The interview itself was fun - Rege started off with some questions about influences and songwriting philosophy, then had me talk about how a specific song came about, the whys and wherefores, and then at the end I played the song I'd been talking about. The song I picked was "Don't Look Down," one of our newer songs that Jen sings. It'll be on the CD. I can't wait for everyone to hear the finished version of this song. Jen sings it beautifully.

The article comes out sometime early in January I believe, with a multmedia component on the Trib website with video of all the interviews and songs. Again, I won't say who else is in the article, but let's just say it's good company and I really feel honored to be part of it. Thanks, Rege.

No comments:

Post a Comment